February 11, 2005
20050210: Economics 113 Lecture: Slavery: Cui Bono?
Charles of Windsor to marry Camilla Parker-Bowles
The Persistence of Southern Slavery the Result of:
- Free land (which makes emancipatory bargains unworkable) (Marx: Swann River Colony)
- Cotton gin (which gives you another staple crop you can grow for which monitoring is easy)
Geographical distribution of slavery:
- Plantation south--slavery
- Mountain south--not much slavery
- North--no slavery
- Border state antislavery--Cassius Clay--get rid of the "Peculiar Institution"--no desire to free African Americans
The northern desire to see slavery set on the "course of ultimate extinction"
Ulpian: Roman jurist: Cui Bono? Who Benefits?
Who benefitted from the crime of American slavery?
Do comparative statics with a counterfactual world in which cotton was grown using free labor rather than with slaves.
Handout for the cui bono? analysis of slavery...
Posted by DeLong at February 11, 2005 02:05 PM